This lesson plan– the first in the E-Lit for ESL series— takes advantage of J.R. Carpenter’s polyphonic approach to the city to introduce the characteristics of e-literature, to provide some reading strategies and to encourage the use of digital tools in writing. The text “Saint Urban Street Heat” and its multiple vignettes that can be explored become a resource for reviewing the use of adjectives and presenting hyphenated adjectives to students.
This resource has been designed for teenagers and adults with at least an intermediate proficiency level. Its activities include:
- the use of pre-reading strategies,
- the reading of “Saint Urban Street Heat” in print and then within “Entre Ville,”
- the reflection of the author’s experiences in her work,
- the introduction to hyphenated adjectives, and
- the elaboration of a collage using PowerPoint and digital materials provided by the students.
Access the Teaching “Entre Ville” lesson plan.